Working at SPARK is never a dull moment! As an important member of a small team you will have lots of opportunities to play a vital role as well as assist colleagues in various projects across the institution. We strive to create an inclusive, family like environment keeping true to our origins as an institution. We are a close knit team of staff and volunteers working together to inspire and engage our community.
Our Mission: The Spark Museum of Electrical Invention provides exciting and educational experiences for audiences of all ages and backgrounds through innovative programs and a world-class collection of artifacts representing the historic development of electricity, radio and early technology. Spark embraces the wonder and mystery of electricity.
We are currently seeking a community minded, science inspired individual to fill our Visitor Engagement Manager position. An ideal candidate is someone who loves to work with the public and is passionate about getting people excited about science and history.
Visitor Engagement Manager
SPARK Museum of Electrical Invention
1312 Bay St. Bellingham, WA 98225
Full Time, Exempt Position: $38,000k Starting
To Apply: SPARK Museum Application
Application Deadline : Review begins Jan 14, 2022; Position open until filled
About the Position:
The Spark Museum of Electrical Invention provides exciting and educational experiences for audiences of all ages and backgrounds through innovative programs and a world-class collection of artifacts representing the historic development of electricity, radio and early technology. The Visitor Engagement Manager’s primary role is to ensure a high quality experience for all visitors before, during and after their visit. This includes coordinating a team of volunteers who work with the public, working with museum guests during their visit, and participating in Museum programming as an educator and administrator.
- Oversee the operation of the front of house admissions areas, including the daily ticket and museum store sales, membership sales, new visitor orientation, and on-going customer service.
- Supervise Volunteer Docents and Front Desk Volunteers. Coordinate training and schedules.
- Supervise visitor experience on the floor, working with exhibits and programs managers to ensure adequate staffing and programming in each space. Perform daily monitoring of the museum’s facilities and exhibits to ensure that the facilities are in good condition and that visitors are properly served.
- Work with other staff and volunteers to oversee visitor amenity services such as group visits and venue rentals.
- Learn and deliver Weekly MegaZapper Shows and Field Trips/Group Trips as needed.
- Develop and provide ongoing documentation as required to communicate institution wide understanding of visitor attendance and trends.
- Assist with social media engagement, content gathering, and publishing.
- Work with Director of Programs to represent the Museum at relevant outreach events.
- Other activities as assigned.
- A minimum of 1 year relevant experiences (education, museums, customer service, etc)
- An interest in and basic understanding of Science/Physics
- Strong Customer service and communication skills, ability to serve as an articulate spokesperson for the Museum
- Able and willing to work in front of large groups of people of diverse ages and backgrounds including children – good showmanship skills are a must
- Strong computer skills including the Microsoft Office suite. Familiarity with cloud services such as Dropbox and Google workspace is a plus
- Supervisory and leadership skills to operate a 5-day per week operation
- Ability to think about problems, develop solutions and resolute in their implementation
- Able and willing to work as a strong component of a small team
Physical Requirements/Work Environment
Works daily in a typical office setting, on a Wednesday-Sunday schedule and may include occasional evenings as part of Museum programming or events. This position requires the operation and public demonstration of high voltage electrical equipment.
Position requires standing, sitting, bending and reaching. May require lifting up to 30 pounds, if necessary, to assist in setting up museum exhibits, maintaining museum collection, rearranging collection and office space, preparing museum for special events and programs.
Hours and Compensation
This is a full-time, exempt salaried position. Work hours are typically 9am-5pm Wednesday-Sunday, but some flexibility will be required to operate a 5 days per week operation. Benefits include performance-based bonus, 2 weeks of PTO, paid holidays and a $150 monthly health care stipend.
For further information contact: Abby Whatley, Director of Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org.