“Edison Tube” Electrical Distribution Cable
This underground cable was installed by Thomas Edison in 1883 to carry 220 volts D.C. from Edison’ first power plant located on Pearl Street in New York city to customers within a square mile area of Manhattan. It was discovered during excavation following the 9/11 terrorist attack on the World Trade Center.
A cross section of the cable is shown in the photo. The cables were made in 20 foot sections, beginning by wrapping three copper conductors in rope, in order to separate them and insulate them from the steel casing. This assembly was then inserted into a 3″ diameter steel pipe, and the pipe was pumped full of molten bitumen (asphalt).