SPARK Education generates science that sticks!
SPARK Museum offers two great options for student field trips:
- the Powerhouse Electrical Show, featuring the MegaZapper; and
- the Gallery Tour, including a Tesla Coil demonstration.
To request an interactive, fun and educational field trip experienced that is designed for your students, call Abby at 360-738-3886 or use the form at the bottom of this page.
Field Trip option 1:
Powerhouse Electrical Show featuring The MegaZapper!
What is lightning? Can electrical energy be sent without wires? How do we know what we know? There is a method!
This jampacked 90-minute educational field trip is designed to inspire a lifetime appreciation for science through a string of mind-blowing demonstrations, all created and performed live and featuring early static electricity machines, vintage electronic musical instruments and recording devices, the discovery of electromagnets, the historic AC/DC war of the currents, and a variety of fantastic lightning machines, including The MegaZapper—one of the largest Tesla coils in the country. To know this science is to love it, and there is no better place to get it than the Powerhouse Electrical Show.
- Grades 3 and up
- Cost: $8 per person for grades 3-12, $10 per person for adults
- Duration: 90 minutes
- Available: Year-round, Tuesday through Friday
- Minimum: 30 people, maximum of 100 people
- Does not include time in Museum galleries
Field Trip option 2:
Gallery Tour, including a Tesla Coil Demonstration
Your students will be amazed and inspired by a guided museum experience that is designed for all ages and backgrounds. The Gallery Tour is designed for smaller groups able to maneuver through the Museum's galleries. These tours can include demonstrations with early electrical devices, a visit to our static electricity lab, exploring Edison cylinder phonographs, trying your hand (literally!) at playing a vintage electronic musical instrument, and learning the history of telephone and telegraph technology.
A portion of this 90-minute tour will feature a Tesla coil demonstration. It can also include the MegaZapper, which is one of the largest Tesla coils in the country. It’s massively impressive!
- Ages: Kindergarten through college
- Cost: $8 per person for grades K-12, $10 per person for adults
- Duration: 90 minutes (age appropriate)
- Available: Year-round; Wednesday through Friday
- Minimum: 12, maximum of 36