SPARK Museum of Electrical Invention offers docent-guided tours to groups of eight or more people. Tour groups visiting our NW Washington science and history museum will see the collection and hear fascinating stories from a knowledgeable guide. Groups — families, students, senior travelers — will also have the opportunity to experience our hands-on interactive exhibits and, optionally, attend a MegaZapper Show, which is offered every Saturday and Sunday at 2:30 p.m.
To request a guided group tour of our electrical invention museum in Bellingham, WA, please call 360-738-3886 or fill out this group tour inquiry form:Group Tour Request
Option 1: Guided gallery tour
From ages 6 to 106, this is science and history everyone can appreciate and enjoy. Experience a docent-guided tour that will amaze and inspire; gallery tours are guaranteed to provide your group with a rare and memorable experience. Your guided museum tour can include viewing demonstrations of early electrical devices, visiting our static electricity lab, exploring Edison cylinder phonographs, trying your hand (literally!) at playing vintage electronic musical instruments, and even seeing a Tesla coil in action. Note: Weekend groups can include our popular MegaZapper demonstration for an additional fee.
- Ages: Kindergarten to senior citizens
- Cost: $10 per person over age 12, $7 per person age 11 and younger
- Duration: 1 to 2 hours (age appropriate)
- Dates: Year-round; Wednesday through Friday, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Minimum $300 fee assessed for tours outside the museum’s normal business hours.
- Group size: minimum 12 people, maximum 48
Option 2: Guided gallery tour with MegaZapper demonstration
Take your guided gallery tour to the next level by including a demonstration of our famous “MegaZapper” Tesla coil. Purchased in combination with Option 1, above, plus an additional $45 fee.
Option 3: MegaZapper Electrical Show
SPARK Museum has a signature show that you’ll get to see live and in person! This option is great for groups of 12 or more who visit our downtown Bellingham during normal Museum hours.
What is the MegaZapper Electrical Show? John Jenkins, SPARK Museum president, says this about the show: “It is sort of Franklin meets Frankenstein – science reality meets science fiction fun.” Elements of the show include a variety of eye-popping machines reminiscent of Frankenstein’s laboratory. The centerpiece is a fantastic ‘Cage of Doom’ designed and built by world-renowned sculptor Ric Allen. At the end of the show, up to three audience members (aged 18+) are invited to enter the Cage of Doom, where they will be bombarded with 4.5 million volts of electrical potential blasting out of one of the largest Tesla coils in the country!
- Ages 5 and older
- Cost: $15 per person during normal Museum hours
- Minimum $300 outside normal business hours
- Duration: 45 to 60 minutes
- Available Wednesday through Friday, year-round
- Size: minimum 12 people, maximum 100 people
Option 4: Weekend gallery tour with MegaZapper show
Want to arrange a weekend science and history tour in Bellingham, WA? No problem! Groups can book a SPARK Museum experience that includes guided docent tours and attendance at a regularly scheduled weekend MegaZapper Electrical Show. Knowledgeable docents will focus the tours on specified artifacts or collections, which may include Ben Franklin, the static lab, Edison cylinders, musical instrument history, motors, batteries, or any number of other exhibits. After the guided group tour, your friends, family or coworkers will attend the regularly scheduled MegaZapper show at 2:30 p.m.
- Ages: 5 and older (Minimum of nine people; one supervising adult must be present for every six children between ages 5 and 11)
- Admission: $14 per person ages 12 and older, $10 per person ages 5 to 11
- Duration: Allow 2+ hours for gallery tours and the MegaZapper show
- Time: 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Day: Saturdays and Sundays only